Glass Casting Workshop 6th & 20th July
This course will run over two weekends, 6th and 20th July
You will need to bring along an object to copy, it should be no bigger than 10cm x 10cm x 2cm deep. There is opportunity to make 4 cast pieces during this workshop.
Session One runs 10am to 4pm approximately. The studio will be open from 9.45am so you can grab a cuppa before we start. We will finish when all your work is completed, normally 4pm but we can run over to 4.30pm. Lunch is included on this day. It is a very busy practical day. You will have the opportunity to make up to 4 moulds so you can try using the different techniques and glass types that are available for casting.
Session Two runs 10am to 1pm. The studio will be open from 9.45. Today will concentrate on de-moulding and cold working your pieces.
You will learn:
- how to make an open face mould from your found object using the lost wax method
- how to make an open face moulds from objects you make from clay in the studio
- the difference between silicone, Gelflex and alginate mould materials and when to use each
- the different methods when using billet, sheet and frit glass in your moulds
- how to calculate the weight of glass required
- firing schedules used
- how to cold work your finished castings